Cook Medical is a global company with a global focus and future. Since 1963, Cook Group companies have been among the leaders in developing health care devices that have improved lives around the world.
Cook Medical is at the forefront of medical research and global sales of products for endovascular therapy, critical care medicine, general surgery, diagnostic and interventional procedures, bioengineered tissue replacement and regeneration, gastroenterology and endoscopy procedures, urology, and obstetrics and gynaecology.
The family-owned company has more than 10,000 employees, and what started with three products has grown into a global company serving 135 countries across the Americas, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia, and offering 16,000+ products. Today it manufactures and combines medical devices, drugs, biologic grafts and cell therapies to serve more than 41 medical specialties.
Cook Medical was established in Ireland in 1996 as a production and distribution centre and quickly developed to encompass the R&D and manufacturing of urology and gastroenterology products. In 2004 the Cook Ireland plant in Limerick expanded to create a European Shared Service Centre while in 2009 it was chosen as the global manufacturing base for a first of its kind drug-eluting stent technology, Zilver PTX, used to treat Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD).
Its R&D facilities have continued to grow to include Peripheral Intervention devices and today 10% of Cook Ireland’s sales come from products designed in Limerick. Total employment in Limerick is now 700 people.
Last December Cook Medical won the 2011 Irish Medical Technology Company of the Year award.
Cook Medical skillsets
With the varied functions performed at Cook Medical such as regulatory affairs, marketing, customer service, finance, HR and IT, the range of skillsets required in Cook Medical are quite diverse.
One of its fastest growing departments is its Product Development team, who are responsible for design development, prototyping, design evaluation, design reviews, design verification and validation, and transfer to production.
The key skills required for the technicians and engineers in this group are:
- Third-level degree in Mechanical, Biomedical, Design, Chemical Engineering or similar discipline
- Project planning skills
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology
- Good mechanical design and understanding of engineering fundamentals, with extensive medical device materials knowledge
- Manufacturing design and process understanding
- Good working knowledge of SolidWorks and/or Pro Engineer CAD
- Strong technical writers
- Knowledge of medical device quality and regulatory systems and medical device directives (ISO 13485 and FDA CFR 820)
- Team players with ability to develop strong working relationships and work in a fast paced environment
- Highly motivated individuals, self starters with a passion for excellence
Visit the Cook Medical website